Saturday, August 1, 2009

Obstacles

(Truth in blogging: I am sharing a discussion my wife and I had earlier today, so I can't claim exclusive ownership for the ideas that appear here; she had much to do with what I'm about to say.)

You'll find this aphorism many places on the web, often attributed to Buddha or merely called a "Zen saying:"

The obstacle is the path.

Well... shit.

OK, let's try something else: Who is responsible for the largest, heaviest, hardest to move obstacles in my life? Usually... me. Right? Oh yeah... indeed, right.

Which means that the path through those obstacles is therefore... me.

Which means that if I want to confront and overcome the obstacles, I need to directly confront and overcome...

Right.

Well... shit.

1 comment:

Denver Refashionista said...

Well said. I think you're right but life is a process so don't be too hard on yourself during the journey.

I love yoga because it is a "practice." You need not master the poses or the philosophy, you just work with them. Life is the same way and overcoming obstacles is part of the practice.