Sunday, January 17, 2016

Perceive and ...

A new yet wonderful discovery, here on the MS Highway.

I'm puddling about in the kitchen this morning, making whipped matcha to get my morning started, and as I pull out the drawer holding teaspoons and such, which I need to stir up my ever-so-yummy medicinal herbs which are also part of the daily ritual (ah, the "tasty" world of Chinese medicine), and as I pull out the drawer, I feel like I'm seeing it for the first time.

I've been opening drawers in this house for at least 20 years. I've opened them several times a day for every day of those 20 years.

And yet today, that experience feels new. And wonderful, in its beautiful simplicity.

A side-effect of spending a lot of time in a wheelchair, practicing noticing things "for the first time." REALLY noticing things. Like sitting n the veranda and smelling the changes in the air. Like seeing how the color of the light the sunlight shining on the trees changes with the time of day. Like watching the birds visiting and kvetching with each other. Different every day, every hour. I get a lot of practice just noticing things. And what I notice is always ... quite amazing. Quite wonderful!

So wheelchair or not, confinement to a whatever-it-might-be or not, this is something I can suggest to each of you--also MS or not.

Just notice. Just pay attention.

You may very well find... something wonderful.

Today is different from any other day. People call it "the same as always," but it's  not. It's different.

So then, find something just to perceive. And perceive it. No matter what it is. REALLY perceive it.

And...

Enjoy.

No comments: