Wednesday, November 21, 2012

We are...

Not much to report today... not much incurred to warrant reporting. I spent about an hour and a half at The Machine, sending some scores to Someone (more detail when it becomes available), and that was pretty much all I had to offer.

The rest of the day, spent in bed. Underneath two blankets and a spare pillow, and still cold. This "cold" thing is a within-the-last-couple-of-months "new" development; it doesn't matter what sort of temperature the bedroom is (seventies, currently), my legs are always cold. Period. The cat enjoys my sharing the bed with her, but doesn't contribute any warmth, temperature-wise, at least.

And OH yeah, a killer headache. Woke up at 5:30 AM, banged down some aspirin to help assuage said nasty headache... woke up again at 7, because the headache was worse. Horribly worse. Used one of my wife's favorite migraine cures—green Japanese tea, sencha with just a touch of matcha—which took the edge off, and it has about twelve hours later finally subsided. Mostly. Sort of.

Speaking of pills and times, I notice that I'm currently living in a timed-medication world. Thyroid needs to be taken with lots of water on an empty stomach, and given at least a half hour to do whatever, before anything else is eaten/drunk (besides water). And, pharmacist says, you should take it at approximately the same time of day, every day. As best you can, at least. (Same pharmacist said that birth control pills need to be taken precisely the same time every day, one wouldn't want to need them for [you can guess what] but because you took them too late, your need for their help came when they were "between" active times. He reassured me that thyroid wasn't like that, but probably best to take it at least approximately the same time every day.) Latest set of herbs need to be taken immediately before bed. Handful of magnesium, D3, B complex, and a couple of other things, can happen any time, as long as they're clear of the thyroid and the before-bed herbs. My paternal grandfather was a "handful of pills" kinda guy (mostly vitamins but who knows what else), it's bad enough that I think I look like my father in all of my "Robert teaching" photos, now I'm chugging pills like his father. The pill bottle doesn't fall far from the tree, it seems.

And something for my fellow travelers on the M.S. Highway...

Headache and all, this afternoon I happened upon my favorite moment in the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie... a lovely moment, something that I needed very much. Wonka is taking the children around the factory, some Bad Little Child is mouthing off, and Willy Wonka turns her face towards him, and says very quietly and earnestly:

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.

And so we are. Headache, neurological nonsense, or whatever... we are the dreamers of dreams.

And I know they weren't talking about what happens when your condition makes you languish in bed all day.

No comments: