Saturday, March 20, 2010

Creation

Two sentences from Seth Godin's 3/19/2010 blog caught my eye this morning:

"Firsts are fun and exciting and it's neat to keep topping ourselves."

"Never is a lot harder than first, but I guess you get used to it."

Living with MS, we get a lot of both of those. The first time something starts malfunctioning. The thing you loved, or simply regarded as a "given," that you will never do again.

And yet, the Tao Te Ching tells us, "Up and down create each other." Firsts create lasts. Endings create beginnings.

Perhaps we need a new version of the "serenity" prayer. Perhaps, the "unattachment" prayer...

God grant me the unattachment to release both my beginnings and my endings, so that with open hands I can receive the gifts that those changes bring.


No comments: