Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Normal?

For a few months now, I've reported on very interesting acupuncture treatments, which were (I think) attempting to address significant deficiencies, or effect significant changes.

This week, I had the sort of treatment that I used to get regularly before The Diagnosis. Coupla points just to shore up my problem Officials, one point to shore up my energy, end with points to anchor the treatment in the Fire element. Pretty much a basic booster shot/regular oil change, if you'll forgive the mixed metaphor.

My doctor was very pleased at my state when I arrived at the office, and even more so at the end of the treatment. He smiled when he asked me what I had done to get into such a good state.

Well, as far as I can tell, it was being in front of my students. I like them every year; each new crop of students has its own charms. But somehow, this year... they smile. Easily, and enthusiastically.

So, looking back at the summer and the many dark times I had over those three "vacation" months... what were the differences between then and now?

Well, I must confess, I do always get an energy boost in the autumn; it's always been autumn's special gift. I don't get it in LA as much as I got it in New England (HOO boy, what a boost), but I'll take it.

The heat this summer was oppressive. Even when I was in the air conditioning, it was oppressive. And it was humid, which I've never ever liked, even before The Diagnosis.

One could make guesses about the energy of the summer, the season of the Fire element, and my relationship to that element. (If that makes any sense, even I'm not sure it does.)

But the single, biggest difference in my life since the summer?

Smiles. The laughter of, of all things, teenagers.

Beats the hell out of injecting yourself with interferons.

And because they're smiling, they get the benefit of their happiness too. Everybody wins.

Now, this is a real MS treatment.

No comments: