Sunday, March 24, 2013

Something worth trying

Two very different things to talk about, this week.

Well, let's see... Wednesday, I was "walking" across my house. My legs went out from underneath me, I started going down, and I must have grabbed at the television... because it slid off its shelf and landed on top of me.

Now, the good news is certainly that because it landed on top of me, I broke its fall, so there was no shattering of anything. And it turns out, the TV is completely fine.

After all, like I said, it did land on top of me, it's no wonder nothing (inside the TV) broke. Fortunately, my wife was at home and she was able to lever it up enough for me to get my not-particularly-functional-under-the-best-of-circumstances-legs out from under the set, and I was able to sorta/kinda/eventually scoot away. Thank goodness for the kind neighbor who came by and picked up the set, so we (especially I) didn't have to trip over it all the time.

Because my hands were occupied trying to stop myself from falling over (and not doing very well at that, certainly), I couldn't actually break my fall, so I wound up halting my fall via my chin.

End of story is: As far as I can tell, nothing (TV or me) has broken anywhere. I'm seeing doc tomorrow about a nastily sore spot on one rib, but chiropractor said it was maybe maybe maybe, at worst, damaged only slightly, and treatment for kinda-cracked ribs is very simple. If binding it makes it feel better, bind it with an Ace bandage or something like that. If binding it makes it feel worse, don't bind it. Wait. In the meantime, try not to drop another TV on it. So we're back to the usual prescription: Hang on for the ride, make the best of it, and... wait.

Now, a couple of days following this, my wife and I come upon the day's meditation offered by the Deepak Chopra Meditation Challenge. The "centering thought" of the day involved something along the lines of how my body is—his exact word—"perfect." ("Oh, really?" says the guy with M.S. who just dropped a TV on himself when his legs gave out.) But he also spoke about how if we met someone else who was suffering from anything, we'd try to comfort them. We'd offer them love. And said we should do that to our bodies, especially if they were in distress.

In the days I was working with the Science of Mind folks, they'd often say that we may gripe about how nice it would be if the universe were perfect... but it is! It works absolutely perfectly. Our problem is, we don't like the way it works out. Send negativity into the universe, and it responds quite perfectly, sending negativity back to us. Quite perfect, in the way it works... if we choose to utilize that perfection in injurious ways, well, that's on us.

But it is amazing, given how much "malfunction" we're oh-so-painfully aware of, even given the way our bodies don't work correctly as far as we're concerned... but yet, we're still alive. That's a pretty darned good machine, our body, to work at all given what it's dealing with. Sure, I wish I could use my feet well enough to play the organ again, but my feet work well enough to get me to the bathroom. And given what's not working in that department, having anything work at all is actually... quite nice.

The last bit of Deepak's challenge is certainly worth thinking about. Let's direct some love and comfort towards our malfunctioning nervous systems. Extend love. Extend sympathy. Extend comfort.

Feeling positive is good for us (good for anyone) anyway, and if there's anything that needs love and comfort, it's our screwball nervous systems. It's amazing what they are able to do... perhaps a "thank you" might be just what they need.

Will something come of it? Who's to know? But, putting yourself in a mood of gratitude, of charity, of love, of sympathy...

All positive, no untoward side effects. Probably worth trying, y'know?



2 comments:

Muffie said...

Robert, I'm so sorry you fell. I, too, am recovering from a fall down the stairs, so I "feel your pain!" I like the lesson in positive thoughts, and I'll try to apply to myself.
Peace,
Muff

Katja said...

Ouch! I hope you recover soon from the Attack of TV.