Saturday, April 10, 2010

Size is relative

Size is relative. More than that... "Size" is only relative. And, more than that, size is created by you: by your perspective.

If you want an example from your own immediate universe, walk up to anything that comes up to approximately waist level. Look down on it. It's small.

Now lie on the floor, and look up at it. Now it's big.

It didn't change. You did: and all you actually changed was your perspective.

You want another example? Try to walk a mile. Try to walk to another state. Try to walk from one end of the continent to the other. It's big, this planet we're on, right?

Now look at this. And if that's not enough of a change of perspective, look at this.

Why do I bring this up?

I haven't been behind the wheel of a car in nearly seven days. I used to drive an hour and a half at the drop of a hat, to get to/from a gig. Heck, I'd drive an hour just to get to a restaurant. I drove four hours from LA to Las Vegas because it cost less than flying and took about as long, when you considered all the time you had to spend in various airports. Twenty-five years ago, I drove from Connecticut to LA. No problem.

I'm feeling very wobbly today, "sort of" faint but not really fainting. I've been wondering when I'd be ready to try driving again... I haven't decided whether it's fear or prudence that's keeping me away from the driver's seat.

Is driving a big or a small thing? Is not driving a big or a small thing? Whether it's inconvenient or not, whether it's practical or not, that's a different matter.

But is it "big"?

Size ... is how you define it. I know that. But how do I feel about the way that I choose to define it?

That... I don't know.

No comments: