Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lying down

Interesting days, these last few days.

I'm on vacation, thank goodness. So I don't have to have the alarm get me out of bed at 7:00AM for a while. Not that the cat doesn't have enough ideas about when it's appropriate to talk to me and ask for rubbing, but at least I don't have to get up.

And I'm very grateful for that. Because I'm having an awful time simply being out of bed, not to mention getting up and walking around. Today, I had so many wonderful ideas about "I really should work on project X," something that wouldn't take any physical labor, it'd just be typing into a machine or (now here's an idea) actually writing something on a piece of paper with a pencil.

But no. When I was finally able to get up, I made a Japanese tamago-yaki omelette, fried up some mushrooms, grated some daikon and added it to some natto. A lovely Japanese breakfast. Except before I was done, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep standing through the whole cooking process. I wasn't able to make the tea. I had to get off my feet, before I hit the floor. And that was getting way too close for comfort.

Several times today, I had to retreat to the bed. Because merely "sitting down" wasn't enough. I tried sitting down. It didn't work. I had to lie down.

I've been doing a great deal of thinking about "Well, I'm leaving my job in a half year or so, what am I going to do instead?"

When those thoughts are interrupted by "Crap... I gotta lie down. NOW. Before I fall down," it does give some poignance to the planning process.

Well, the very good news is... I don't have to answer the question today. Today... I can just lie down.

And y'know, on the M.S. Highway... Even a small kindness like that one, is a kindness. And I'll take it. Gratefully.

And now... (You knew this was coming...)

Please excuse me. I gotta lie down.

No comments: