Friday, September 30, 2011

Trust

Awright, I guess I gotta go where the rest of us MS bloggers eventually go... the land of symptoms.

There's no easy way to say this. You've heard the genteel turn of phrase, regarding having "urgency"?

Well, I don't have that. I have panic. Duplicity. Avoidance. Desperation. And courting containment failure.

Walking is bad enough, given that I sort of can't trust or believe my legs. I can barely trust or believe my bladder. And, since for whatever reason I've been running more properly hydrated than I have for a long time, I spend a lot of time second-guessing my bladder.

Oh well. At least the plumbing still basically works. The same way a bucket works... keep it upright, and the floor stays dry. Except for me, it's "keep seated," because standing and walking courts disaster.

At least I haven't had to bail out of my classroom for a mid-class-session emergency bathroom dash. I did have to do that a few times last year... I told the class, "I have to excuse myself briefly. I'll be back as soon as I can. I'm going to trust you guys to keep it together until I return. Because I promise you, if any ONE of you makes me regret trusting you... next time, they're coming with me."

Lots of laughs. And upon my return... absolutely nothing untoward had happened; all was well. (Whew!)

I can trust a room full of 14-year-olds better than I can trust my own bladder.

All things considered, that does have it's advantages. And it's funny. And neurological nonsense being what it is... funny, I'll take.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Mad scramble on hobbled legs, you may recall I have called this. It's not pretty. It's inconvenient, occasionally humiliating. Did I mention frustrating? Somehow, we keep on smiling. At least that is something I can still do well.
Judy