Thursday, December 11, 2014

Things do indeed change

Here in Pasadena, it's definitely comin' on Winter, as they say in Montana. (They also say that there are four seasons in Montana: Conin' on Winter, Winter, Pretty much still Winter, and Road Construction.)

Thinking a lot, perhaps more than I should, about life in New Haven and at Yale and its environs... But as a very wise man reminds us, there are many paths to enlightenment, but "nostalgia" isn't one of them.

My herbalist has encouraged me to try snorting small doses of my herbs, 1980's-cocaine-style. It's quite odd (there's cardamom in this formula, who snorts cardamom?) but it's gentle, and it works. Dunno exactly what it does, but it's doing something beneficial.

He also told me to go full-court-press on B vitamins. Megadosing. But he did come up with a superlative research paper about what to do and why. And, a relief, at least we know what B vitamins do. This particular paper is gloriously free of "is thought to" bet-hedging.

I had some matcha this morning on the back veranda... I can take the outside world briefly and in controlled doses. But at least from the veranda I can watch and maybe even enjoy, the promised rain while staying dry. It was quite odd toddling around the high school (former workplace) in a powered wheelchair in wet weather... My knees and shins got wet, because they were basically the "leading edge" of my forward motion. Top of my head of course yes, but nothing like direction-of-motion shins catching the rain. Sort of a Mythbusters experiment gone very, very oddly.


Very simple activities, today. The usual "bathroom polka," additional details of which you do not want, take my herbs in various methods, maybe even make some pickles. Maybe send some messages from the computer, pay some bills (or in this particular case, some more bills, such as the supplies I need to keep myself happy in the Cath Club). Eat. Yes, that needs to be committed to as a "mandatory to do" just like my morning thyroid pill and daily catheterization... because it takes special circumstances likely that to happen in any way... "Go out to eat" I do very very rarely, because getting dressed enough and bathroom-adventure'ed enough, plus being able to simply withstand leaving the house, is a Very. VERY. Big. Deal.

Speaking of which, it's time to have some herbs and try to eat something. The difficulty of bringing myself to do which is very foreign to a gastronaut such as mysel...

But, things change. They do indeed change.


No comments: