Saturday, September 6, 2014

Koyaanisqatsi

Something I never expected to hear from a dyed-in-the-wool urologist...

I was asking him about my current bladder conflagration... Alan (my name for the bladder, long story there) complains bitterly demanding attention, I transfer (with some difficulty) to the commode and Alan seems no longer interested; I get up to leave, he screams again. I catheterize myself after all this screaming, and get a few tablespoons (not, by my lights, a good use of a catheter, given what they cost and what a f---ing pain in the ass it is to get them delivered to my house); I'm lying down in bed, Alan starts leaking but NOT complaining, I cath and whaddaya know, 400 ml! And let's not even talk about the difference between "leaking" and "gushing."

Urologist says, perhaps a little sadly, "That's how it is with MS. Everybody with MS eventually goes there... All sorts of things set it off. Maybe an infection. Maybe an MS flare-up. Maybe something else, it doesn't take much."

And this is what I didn't expect he'd say, but given what other care providers I hang with, it makes perfect sense...

"Something's out of balance"

Koyaanisqatsi indeed. Life out of balance...

Art imitates life.

Philip Glass - Koyaanisqatsi - YouTube

No comments: