Saturday, September 8, 2012

It just might happen

Yesterday was interesting, in many ways.

One of my favorite activities at the high school at which I used to work was Friday afternoon Anime Club. I figured, what parent is going to be so uptight that they'd object to watching cartoons on Friday afternoon, after the school was closed? None of them, that's who. And oh, the fun we had! We only ran things with literary value... Never Naruto, shows like Gankutsuo, Serei no Moribito, even Ouran High-School Host Club. And at the end of last year, we'd finish with some nice tea, usually oolong. Delightfully civilized, it was.

And for the first time in twelve years... No Anime Club. I spent the day on the 101 freeway, going to and from my herbalist. Fun-wise, hardly a fair trade. But, at least I didn't have to go through any nasty emotional stuff... It was really just a "Huh! No anime today. Wow..." quiet moment. 'Course, putting one's attention into the 101 freeway does dull whatever bitterness might have been there.

Although it was a good visit at the herbalist. He's not a "dharma talk" person like my acupuncturist/MD, but we have fun anyway, and I learn all sorts of amazing stuff from him. He reeled off a long list of actual medical benefits offered by cannabis (oh, I wish I had written them down, they were quite amazing, and quite a respectably long list), and some interesting tidbits about vitamin/mineral supplements. For example, our bodies use magnesium in hundreds of ways, but one of its best-known effects is as a laxative--except if you're magnesium deficient. If you take the usual "laxative dose," but you don't get the usual laxative effects, it means your body's putting the magnesium to other uses, appropriating it before it gets to the "laxative" point.

Other "fun" activities yesterday: I suppose one could stretch to call it "exercise," I traversed the lengths of an electronics store to pick up an early birthday present for my wife. Walked, I'm guessing, around 150-170 yards--it's a big store. Challenging and much more difficult than I'd like. But I made it.

Today's agenda--Taiwanese tea/lunch with a friend whom I haven't seen in WAY too long, and afterwards upon return home, write music or work on an upcoming presentation. I want to move back into a "creative" space, enhanced by--not impeded by--my M.S. experience. If I can stay awake long enough, post-lunch... it just might happen.

I'll let you know.

No comments: