Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Alternatives

So I'm on this diet: No dairy (doc expresses that as "ABSOLUTELY no dairy," which means no butter, no cheese, no nothing), no sugar, no raw leafy greens.

I can work around no raw leafy greens, although I do like salads. I especially like salads with blue-cheese dressing... a double no-no. I'm doing OK on the no leafies and no dairy; no sugar is really hard, because it's in absolutely everything. Since I haven't had sodas in years, and my "candy" consumption was basically one bar of artisanal chocolate per month, dropping that was easy. I used to love to make scones, and I was actually getting pretty danged good at it... those, I miss.

So, I'm watching the Food Network, and Alton Brown (my favorite non-animated TV personality) is showing off this lovely carrot recipe, which involves butter (oh dear) and sugar, in the form of ginger ale (oh bother). A double whammy, on the new diet.

Then I pop over to another channel who's showing the original Japanese Iron Chef. Tonight: It's "battle sea cucumber."

Sea cucumber is, I must admit, not high on my "yummy" list. But it did make me realize...

I have more options than I think.

I'm going to try to remember that, the next time I start getting into a funk over "I can't do X any more because of the M.S."

Remember battle sea cucumber: you have more options than you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great minds, sir: http://bit.ly/cEbKd1